Senior Group Underwriter
Posted on 11/11/2022Guide Stone - Dallas, TX
We are an innovative organization that invests in the spiritual, relational, financial, physical and professional development of our employees. We have a culture that values excellence, teamwork, humility, integrity, compassion and stewardship.
What We Offer You!
We offer employees a generous benefits package, flexible work schedules, the opportunity to be involved in community outreach and tuition reimbursement.
The Senior Group Underwriter will prepare and review all proposals for all insurance products. Prepare risk analysis for use as a guide to determine medical rates/benefits for Group Plan prospecting clients. Determine rates/benefits for Group Plan prospecting clients. Approve issue of new products for group insurance coverage.
What you will do:
- Determine rates for all products for all prospective group clients and present pricing when necessary.
- Preparation/review of proposals.
- Knowledge of risk analysis tool and knowledge of how to use the tool to determine rates within guidelines.
- Client (current and prospective) contact.
- Mentor Associate Group Underwriters and Group Underwriters.
- Special Projects.
- Approve new business for issue.
- Other duties may be assigned.
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in actuarial science, mathematics, economics, or finance or equivalent experience.
- Strong mathematical ability is required.
- Travel less than 5%-7% annually.
- Successful completion of Actuarial exams preferred.
- Advanced PC skills in MS Office and appropriate GuideStone system applications.
- Command of the various features of spreadsheet software and how to use them effectively with respect to memory and processing time.
- Five plus years of underwriting insurance experience is required.
- Eight plus years of group insurance underwriting experience is required.
- Complete and thorough knowledge of GuideStone insurance plans.
- Adherence to personnel policies and various GuideStone standards and security measures; adherence to Federal/State regulations related to insurance.
- Ability to understand new problems/situations quickly and with depth and insight; to formulate findings into understandable language; ability to distinguish weaknesses and strengths of a situation as well as the needs.
- Ability to communicate with non-technical persons or persons of other technical orientations in their terminology; ability to produce reports which require minimal modifications; sense of proportion in what is and is not important to communicate.
- Ability to communicate pricing decisions clearly and concisely with internal and external customers while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain positive professional relationships with those who have competing goals.
- Takes action based on knowledge of business drivers and how strategies and tactics play out in the market.
- Ability to deal constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes.
- To have foresight for future developments and in explaining those areas which will be difficult to interpret at a later time; to know when to defer decision making to next management level; to use good discretion in selecting approaches to problems and in testing; evaluation of alternate strategies when applicable.
- Ability to plan so that progress is made on more than one assignment at a time; to make maximum use of resources such as PC time; ability to organize so that tasks are not neglected or forgotten; ability to organize data, functions, and documentation so that needed information is easily retrievable.
- Ability to identify sources which may provide pertinent information; to interpret information from a variety of references; ability to learn from reference materials such as regulatory updates, plan documents, computer reference manuals, text books.
- Ability to accomplish work properly with little follow-up; in emergency situations, show initiative and reliability to help with a solution; can be relied upon when special needs arise; able to meet target dates; ability to perform equally well in the presence and absence of supervision.
- Must have complete confidentiality regarding GuideStone business matters.
Please login to apply for this job.